The Seal of the Town of Milton
The Seal of Milton was adopted at the annual Town Meeting in 1878. It depicts several early events connected with the Town.
In the foreground is the Neponset River, a busy estuary which appears chocolate-colored, hinting at that delicious product first manufactured here as early as 1765 by John Hannan of Ireland and James Boies of Milton. A small vessel is shown at the left from which two occupants have just landed to trade with the Native American standing in front of one of the wigwams. This represents the fur trade which was the first business conducted in town. Smoke is curling from the wigwam in the background; this settlement of Neponset Indians, famous as trappers, was at the head of Milton Lower Falls, then known as Unquety Quissett.
On the right of the Seal are agricultural tools such as the plough, scythe, rake, also a sheaf of wheat and some corn. On the left is an early shallop. Many of these ships were built at Gulliver’s Landing, the earliest ship builder there having been Nehemiah Bourne of London. (The theory still persists that Jonathan Swift got the suggestion of “Gulliver’s Travels” from Lemuel Gulliver, an early resident of the town who, while traveling abroad, gave Swift exaggerated reports of the inhabitants and animals existing here. There are several landing places along the Neponset River by the name of Gulliver.)
The Blue Hills are shown in the upper part of the Seal. One of the Hills in the range is named Hancock as it was once the property of John Hancock who signed the Declaration of Independance. The Blue Hill Reservation is now cared for by the Department of Conservation and Recreation. The building at the top of the Seal depicts a northwestern view of the church in Milton Abbas in Devonshire, ten miles from Dorchester, England. This ancient Abbey was founded in A.D. 933 and many believe it is the origin of the name of the town. Some believe the town is named after the poet John Milton; still others feel the name came from an old mill that once stood near the stone building of the Walter Baker Chocolate Company.
The motto on the scroll is from the First Eclogue of Virgil, “God has given us this tranquility”.
Click on Seal above for a larger view
View our meeting schedule here. All are welcome!